Kik Messenger, also known as Kik, is a free messaging app. Many teenagers and adults alike use Kik as a fast, free way to message their friends and family. However, recent years have seen the app plagued with spam issues and concerns raised about its safety — especially for younger users.
With lots of other messaging apps available like WhatsApp and Signal, if you’d like to move on from Kik and delete your account — or just deactivate it temporarily — you’re in the right place!
How to delete a Kik account permanently
Before you permanently delete your Kik account, make sure to back up any important data because you will lose:
– the access to your account;
– all your chat data;
– your username and profile;
– details of contacts.
Here’s how to permanently delete your Kik account:
1. Open the Kik delete page in a web browser.
2. Enter your Username and the Email address that was originally used to create your Kik account, then choose a reason for leaving Kik.
3. Add optional details in the Additional info… section.
4. Tick the box that says you understand that you’re permanently deleting your account, then click Go!
5. Check your email inbox for a deactivation email like the one in the screenshot below. Click on Permanently Deactivate, which can be found at the bottom of the email.
That’s it! Your Kik account is permanently deleted.
How to deactivate a Kik account temporarily
If you don’t want to permanently delete your Kik account, you can deactivate it temporarily. With this option, you can log back in and recover your messages upon reactivation. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open the Kik deactivation page in a web browser.
2. Enter the Email address you used to set up the account, then click Go!
3. Check your email inbox for a deactivation email from Kik. Follow the link in the email, then click Deactivate.
How to delete a Kik account without an email address
If you’ve forgotten your email address or you don’t have access to it, don’t worry! As long as you know your Kik username, you can contact Kik support for assistance. However, if you’ve forgotten your Kik account’s email address and username, you will be unable to delete your account.
How to delete your child’s Kik account
One issue with Kik is how children under 13 can create accounts by entering a false birthdate. If you’ve found out that your child has created a Kik account without your permission, you have two ways to delete it.
Option #1 — Contact Kik and submit an account deletion request.
Option #2 — Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Parent Inquiry.” In this email, you should specify your reason for emailing (deletion of your child’s account), then list your child’s Kik username, email address, and optionally, age. Wait for the reply.
How to Protect Your Online Privacy
To protect your and your child’s online security and privacy, we recommend using VPN Proxy One Pro. The app supports Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android, and one account can protect 5 devices. It allows you to hide your IP address, so you and your child’s online activity — whether you’re using messaging apps, browsing the web, or whatever else — won’t be visible to anyone.